Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Gingerbread House

So, my mother broke down and bought a gingerbread house kit. It was so beautiful on the package!

Once when I was little, she bought a gingerbread house and built it with my little brother. Again, so beautiful on the package! But it totally failed... the candy was awful and very cheap, the house itself was just as bad, and I couldn't pipe the icing, so it was very sloppy. (of course, I was only six). Since then, I have hated even the mention of gingerbread. When we went to a friend's house, she made these huge gingerbread men and bought all kinds of candy and icing. I was skeptical, but I tried. How amazing it was!!!

Then when my mother bought this kit and it turned out to be a WILTON  gingerbread house kit, I was really excited. After all, I was fourteen now, could pipe fairly decently, and I would follow ALL the directions.

And then I tried.

I got out the directions, stared at the box for a little bit, and pictured the finished house in my head. It would be the perfect post for my blog! Everyone would just laud my skills! I picked up the piping bag that came with the kit (I was thrilled over that) and turned to the house, my head overflowing with confidence, and began to decorate.

Or, would you call that.... throw together?

And this is what came out.

 So, my piping skills weren't as extensive as I had foolishly imagined.

 These are painful.


 Don't let them fool you; they look fruity, sugary, and amazingly delicious. They aren't.


Don't say 'Yum', say 'Um'! 


Now these were pretty amazing.


I had a few helpers. :D

Little brother #3.
 Little sister #1.
Little brother #2.


Me and Babycakes, the inspiration for the blog name!


Isn't it he just too adorable???!!! You just want to kiss those little rosy cheeks!


That gingerbread house is so..... sloppy. I guess, my skills are the same as when I as six. :D So there it is.

We never ate it. After a few days of looking at it, it got thrown away.

Well, Babycakes, I hope you all had a merry Christmas filled with exciting presents, treats, and fun times with family. I know I did! :D (More about that later!)

~Alyssa <3





7 comments:

  1. Way to try something scary! and I think it turned out rather lovely =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It definately didn't turn out the way I expected... :D

      Delete
  2. I think it looks nice - I would have eaten it! *smiles* Over the years my gingerbread houses have improved - next year try decorating the walls and roof panels on day one, letting them dry overnight, then on day 2 assembling them. It's much easier to pipe icing on a horizontal surface rather than a vertical one. Also, buy a couple of bags of cheap, pretty candy to supplement the kit, if you use a kit next time. Especially with so many helpers, you can't have too much candy. I've been enjoying your blog - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might try that sometime! Thank you so much for the advice. Maybe next year will be better. :D

      Delete
  3. I just stumbled across your blog, and I absolutely LOVE it! Your pictures are fabulous, and I wish I could taste some of your sweets :)
    can't wait to see more of your upcoming posts!
    xox
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading your blog. Your gingerbread house looks AMAZING compared to what I did with my four children! We had a kit too, but it was mailed to us by Grandma and the pieces were broken. I didn't read the instructions. I have pretty good piping skills, but it doesn't matter when your gingerbread disintegrates on you! Ours broke and fell apart. It was a complete disaster!!! You did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooooo much! That must have been a frustration, but Im sure it was tasty. :D Thank you again! :D Have a wonderful day!

      Delete

Hi! Welcome to my blog! I am soooo happy you stopped by! If you like, please leave a comment. That would make my day! :D Love, Alyssa <3